Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Days 25 & 26 Biloxi, MS to Pensacola FL to Panama City, FL

A quick word about Fund Raising.  As you know, I have been raising money for the Arthritis Foundation and Do Something Now.  So far we have a total of approximately $2,700 raised in contributions and pledges.  My goal is to raise $3,000.  Both of these charities are worthy of a donation and their websites can be accessed at http://www.arthritis.org/ and http://www.do-something-now.org/    So if you have been enjoying this blog or you have been inspired by the idea of cycling across America or you would just like to help out those who are less fortunate, please contact Nancy at my office, 619.278.0900.

Day 25 Distance: 125 miles

Day 26 Distance: 111 miiles

Starting off the day in Biloxi, across the street from the Gulf, I soon realized that the hard riding of the past 24 days was fading behind me.  Although the coast road had more traffic, the road was well paved, flat and a gentle tailwind was blowing from the Southwest.  It seemed as though the full day of riding in a downpour just yesterday was a different lifetime.  The mountains in New Mexico, the headwinds in Texas, the remote towns separated by miles and miles of open space, the searing heat; all seemed like a different ride.  Over the course of riding 125 miles and traveling from Mississippi into Alabama and then to Florida I had an elevation gain of only 937 feet.   Every foot of elevation happened while climbing over the many bridges crossing the beautiful inlets, bays and harbors along the coastline.  There are no hills!!

 
The second and unfortunately the last ferry boat ride of the trip takes you from Dauphin Island, AL across the Mobile Bay to Ft. Morgan, AL  After landing, an easy 20 mile ride took me to the first bike shop that I had seen in over 1,500 miles.  I am happy to report that the $19 Walmart tire held up and even though I now have an expensive Bontrager as a spare, I am leaving well enough alone and keeping the Walmart tire and the patched Walmart tube on the front wheel.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.    






Navigation.  Some of you have been wondering whether it is difficult to navigate a bike over all of the roads across all of the states.  Actually, it's easy, here's a photo of a typical street sign which clearly shows which way to go.  This sign, found in Grand Bay, Alabama shows exactly how to go west,west, east, east, west or west and jump on the 10, 188 or 90.  When I first started the trip, I was relying  on the ACA maps.  After a couple of weeks I began plotting my own course using street maps. .I have a map case on my handlebar for easy viewing and plot a course every night for the next day's ride..  Below is a photo of part of tomorrow's route.

]











 Today I was planning on riding from Pensacola into the central part of the panhandle up towards Tallahassee.  But again today was another beautiful day and I couldn't pull myself away from what they call the "Emerald Coast".  So this morning I rerouted and headed to Panama City.  As`an extra bonus I found a bike shop here to replace my speedplay pedal that has been freezing up and causing me to stop every 10 miles and flush the ball bearings with oil..  At the bike shop I got a tip on a great motel right on the beach.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you'll be sticking to Florida's west coast. If you were going over toward Leesburg, you could climb Mt. Dora.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE DOING YOUR BEST TO SAVOUR THE LAST FEW DAYS OF THE RIDE BEFORE YOU HAVE TO RETURN TO THE DULLDRUMS OF REALITY.

    ReplyDelete