Saturday, May 8, 2010

Day 15 & 16 Comsock to Bracketville to Bandera, Tx



Two Day Distance:  174 miles
Two Day Road Kill Numbers:  2 Deer, 1 Wild Turkey, 1 Buzzard, 1 Rattler, 1 Coyote, 1 lizard, 1 bird

On Friday, we rode into Del Rio a town of over 30,000.  While Neal found a bike shop to repair his back wheel, I found a UPS store. I stripped off the front pannier rack and shipped home the rack, one pannier bag, my tent and sleeping bag and a lot of things that I found that I don't really need.  I bungied the other front pannier bag onto the the rear rack.  The Surly is now down to around 65 lbs and much more aerodynamic. While getting my haircut, another cyclist saw my bike in front of the barber shop and stopped in to chat.  He is retired Navy and is taking 2 years to bike from San Diego to Florida, up to New York and then west to Washington.  Some people have way too much free time on their hands!  After another 39 miles after Del Rio, we decided to call it an early day.  A combination of the 96 degree heat, the winds coming out of the East and a really cool place to spend the short day; Fort Clark.  This Fort, located in Braketville was an old Indian outpost, then used by the first Calvary and later by General Patton for a short time.  I stayed In the Patton Lodge and took a dip in a natural spring which has a year round 68 degree temp.  Later had some fried catfish before matching wits with the old ladies in a riveting game of bingo.  Party Animals!

Today, we left before sunrise to beat the expected headwinds.  But within an hour the winds were whipping at a merciless 25 mph.  After 40 miles, Neal's knee gave out on him and he is spending the night in Uvalde.  I kept trudging an additional 40 miles East at a windblown average speed of 8 mph.  About 20 miles West of  San Antonio, I headed 30 miles North to Bandera.  Bandera bills itself as the "cowboy capital of the world".  From what I've seen, I agree.  This area is called "Texas Hill Country and is beautiful country.  The hills are green with cedar and oak trees, flowing creeks and wild flowers everywhere. 

Random Acts of Kindness.  In Sanderson the other day, I had misplaced one of my shoes so I hobbled into a market to see if they had any sandals for sale.  They didn't but the owner left me in the shop, went back to her house and got an old pair of her husband's shoes. She said that she was thinking about donating them to good will and I seemed like a good cause. : )  Yesterday, while riding just East of Del Rio, another cyclist caught up to us.  He's a Captain at Lackland Air Force Base and is a pilot/flight instructor.  After riding together for a while he pealed off to return to the base and asked if we wanted cookies tomorrow.  We thought he was joking.  Well, this morning at around 8:00 I see a van pass me and about 500 feet up the road pull off onto the shoulder and some guy gets out carrying something silver.;  Turns out that it is Captain Bart carrying a loaf of fresh home cooked banana bread with chocolate chips melted in there.  Bart and his wife Christie were taking there 2 kids to Sea World in San Antonio and thought they would find us.  How cool is that.  Kristie even thought to slice the loaf. It was so good!

A portfolio of Texas road signs:

Do we really need a sign for Texans to drive friendly. Can you get a ticket here for driving mean? Is there a "misdemeanor Mean"?

  



2 comments:

  1. Hey Tony - good work with the roadkill tally. I'm sure you're really picking up the pace now that you've shed some weight. - I have a question for you - what's you're favorite junk food been to help propel you along the road?
    Keep Truckin -Blake

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are having a great adventure. Meeting so many interesting people. Wish I was tagging along. Keep pedaling

    ReplyDelete