Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Days 19 & 20 Navasota to Livingson, Tx to De Ridder, Louisiana

Day 19 distance:  88 miles (2 flats and bonked in the heat)
Day 20 distance:  118 miles

Time for the Roadkill Trivia game.  What is the heaviest animal seen along the road so far?  Hint:  If you order a "Gand Slam" at Denny's you will eat this animal. If you know the answer post a comment or text me 619.206.3603.  The winners will move onto the final round on Friday.  Good luck.

The Great Escape:  The distance across Texas is about 950 miles and has consumed half of the trip so far.  I would compare the distance to riding from Humboldt County in California down to Mexico.  But unlike the Coast ride where you would usually get coastal breezes, riding West to East in Texas gives new meaning to the word "headwinds".  Here when the weather says that it will be "windy" they are describing 25 to 35 mph.  In San Diego this would be the lead news story and most likely be entitled "storm watch".  Here it's just another day.   After spending 10 days and 9 nights in the great state of Texas I can't say that I'm sorry to leave. Although there are many beautiful parts and the people have been great, when I finally got to the Sabine River which seperates TX and LA there was cause for celebration.  The scenery didn't change much, still very woodsy with rivers and lakes with plenty of green vegetation, but emotionally I was inspired by finally completing the route through Texas and by finally entering the "South". 

The first town that I came to was Merryville.  I stopped at the market for some fluids.  While there some of the kids from the Merryville High football team came up to talk about the bike and  all of the equipment such as the Garnin and the GPS tracking device.  They were getting some early practice for the upcoming football season.  I couldnt help but mention that I played "corner" for my high school team. I didn't mention that it was on the "freshman" team that didn't win a game the entire season.  I also didn't mention that I didn't knock down a pass the entire year.  The wide receiver that I was defending either caught the ball and scored a touchdown or dropped the ball.  I figured they didnt need to know all of that. 

Tidbits:  What do you do with the issue of dogs in pursuit? I figure that I can out ride a dog on the flats or downhill.  I carry some pepper spray just in case  I'm riding uphill or a dog is confusing my ankle with a T Bone. Today while riding into Woodsville, a dog came running up from the side, taking me by surprise.  I  yelled "get" in my best Texas accent.  I think the dog was amused or maybe just confused and stopped in his tracks.  Shortly after entering LA I heard a dog barking from a distance and looked over my shoulder to see a pit bull approaching and gaining on me from behind.  I was rolling at 15 mph at the time and knew that this dog had run a ways and would soon be out of gas so I picked up the speed and he gave up.  I have a feeling that this may be an ongoing issue for the next several states.



The Trinity  River outside of Huntsville, the birthplace of Sam Houston

3 comments:

  1. If you get a chance, you should stop and try the Jambalaya. I hear that Louisiana is famous for it. You are doing great!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. El Puerco wants to know what's been the best food you've had so far?

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  3. time to get up close and personal with some pecan pie. the further south you go, the better and more sacred it becomes. you're amazing! texas goes on forever in a car, i can't imagine by bike. john and i will toast to you tonight with some good wine and scotch

    ReplyDelete