Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day 10 Las Cruces, NM to Ft. Hancock, Texas

Distance:  104 Miles
The Rio Grande
Riding Conditions:  Windy

The route that I am following is broken into 7 sections.  Now that I entered Texas through El Paso I have completed sections 1 and 2.  These 2 sections covers 934.5 miles.  I am about 60 miles into Texas so the total mileage after 10 days is right around 1,000 miles.  The bad news is that I have picked up a head cold today.  We were planning on riding to Kent tomorrow and camping.  The distance is well over 100 miles. I may have to bail at Siera Blanca a distance of about 41 miles or Van Horn a distance of about 75 miles. 

Today is the first day without taking a picture.  It is sad to say but there is nothing worthy of a photo.  There wasnt even a sign welcoming us to Texas that I could photo! The picture above was taken yesterday outside of  Las Cruces.    We did run into 25 to 30 cyclists jujst west of El Paso out for a Sunday Morning ride. We have been following the Rio Grande river for the last 2 days. This river runs through New Nexico and then seperates Texas and Mexico and eventually empties into the Gulf.  The weather has been dry but very windy with strong gusts that literally push me and my 95 lb bike sideways!  The topography is flat and it is dry and arid.  This region can best be described as desolate.  As I write this post, the wind is howlimg outside and I feel like I'm at the Bates Motel.

1 comment:

  1. You are cycling into the scenic part of Texas. The roadside should be covered in Blue Bonnets and don't forget to get lost in Leakey the mystical river Frio is worth the detour. You are so fortunate. Keep pedaling but, slow down a little it will all be over to soon.

    ReplyDelete