Sunday, April 11, 2010

training is complete: riding on tired legs

Before talking "bike" a quick note to Dr. Harve Meskin, organizer of Do Something Now, one of the charities that I'm fund raising for. He has loaned me a small personal computer weighing just a little over 2 pounds with the charger. Should be a good addition to the trip; I'll have access to the internet when there is a hot spot. I was worried about the witdrawal symptoms of no internet for weeks on end!! Thanks Harve.

Last week was Palomar Mt. Yesterday was Mt. Laguna.   Starting on 3/27 I've ridden every day for 15 straight days, usually to and from work with longer rides on the weekend. Yesterday's ride from my home on Soledad Mt. to Laguna spanned 150 miles with total elevation gains of 10,500 feet. The daily riding causes each ride to start off with tired legs. The course yesterday to Laguna essentially took me through Mission Valley, El Cajon, Lakeside, Alpine, Japatul Valley, Guatay and into Pine Valley at around mile 65. Finally in Pine Valley I noticed that the pre ride fatigue wore off and the normal fatigue of 65 miles set in. In other words, I couldn't really tell the difference between the effects of daily riding and my normal weekend rides at that point. A carb boom goo in Pine Valley also helped with the next 9 miles and 2,300 feet of climbing. A flat front tire on the way back was only a minor set back to an otherwise beautiful day of riding in East County. I feel as though the pre ride training is now complete. I hope to ride 3 or 4 days this week. Next Saturday is an organized ride; the Laguna challenge. For more infomation: click here With the training complete, the goal now is just to maintain, stay free of injury and finish up the mapping and equipment selection for the ride.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your ride. It is a big challenge you are undertaking so please be very careful, our kids need you to be safe and I'm sure they will be worried so contact them often if you can.

    Best of luck!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete